Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Place Restaurant

Address: 6028 Granville St
Tel: 604 261 3948

Located at a central location, diagonally across from Safeway, this unassuming Chinese restaurant has been my favorite for a few years now. Selling good value and large portions, this small restaurant offers both Szechuan food as well as northern China dim sum dishes.

I have yet to try everything on the extensive menu, but here are some of the things that I like from this place.

Beef Roll. Although a popular dish at many Taiwanese restaurants, this version tastes a lot lighter. They balance the marinated beef with some Hoisin sauce and print onions. I do not normally like to eat spring onions, but the onions are a perfect addition in this case



Ji-Cai Dumpling soup. This is my favorite dumpling. I come back here time and time again. The dumpling is filled with mostly vegetable, with a little meat. The skin of the dumpling is ever so slightly chewy when you bite into it, which gives it the perfect consistency. I have no idea what type of leafy vegetable Ji-Cai is, but I love this dumpling! The simple egg floss, seaweed and parsley soup makes sure the dumpling is center stage. Lightly salted and the perfect vegetable to meat ratio. I always have to buy some frozen dumplings when I come for dinner so that I can enjoy it at home as well.





Braised beef and tomato noodle soup. The soup has a nice tartness from the tomatoes that balances out the flavor of the noodles. This dish has evolved from when the restaurant first opened to now. The tomato flavor has been enhanced and the beef is now always tender. I love the homely feel when you eat this.

What I like:
  • Homely feeling of the restaurant.
  • Good food and large portions.
What I did not like:
  • presentation is non existent. Don't expect fancy plates, just lots of good food



No comments:

Post a Comment