Sunday, August 21, 2011

Gyoza King - Part 1

Gyoza King on Robson street.


Gyoza king has long been one of my favorite Izakayas downtown. The food selection is similar to Guu Garlic, but at a lower price point. Having not been here for over 6 months I was looking forward to another wonderful experience.

I noticed there was a lot more variety on the menu, 5 or 6 udons and rice bowls and raw sushi.


Grilled beef tongue. Their staple dish, and is always grilled to perfection. I always love ordering this here.


Clam udon. The menu says this should be stir fried, but this looks more soupy to me. Not what I expected. I was looking for their normal style of stir fried udon in a hot pan with lots of sake. This one was luke warm and not very flavorful. A miss for me.


Seared raw scallops. The scallops were fresh. A simple and clean dish.



Salmon Chazuke. Basically rice in a light broth with salmon flakes. They are very generous with the rice portions. I always enjoy the flavors better when the wasabi is added to the soup. A filling dish perfect for a hungry diner or a cold day.


Tuna Yukke : Chopped tuna with sauce and a quail egg on top. I remember this use to be more spicy. Maybe I ordered the non spicy version by mistake. You are suppose to mix the egg into the chopped tuna, and then wrap it in seaweed. I prefer the spicy version of this, as the tuna was almost too mild to eat as is. The quail egg is used as a binding agent so that the chop tuna holds together better. Fresh ingredients and a clean presentation.

What I liked:
  • The still carry their staples.
  • Good food and a reasonable price point

What I did not like:
  • Addition of too many items.
  • Quality has been sacrificed for variety

No comments:

Post a Comment