Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Malaysian food galore

From a recent trip back to Asia I had just enough time to eat a little of everything. The select few that made this list are the ones that are impossible to find locally. I have yet to find an authentic Malaysian restaurant here. I would love to hear from anyone that knows of a place. Well until I do find one, I have only pictures to savor. Enjoy!


Mee Goreng Sotong:

Spicy stir fried noodles in soy sauce with cuttlefish and bean sprouts. A common local dish that can be made with any choice of meat. Mildly spicy.


Poori with curry chicken

Poori is another type of Indian flat bread. The curry is flavorful and full of spices. The curry has depth and a lot more spices than most curries you find locally. The spices, not the coconut milk, takes center stage. The 2 slices of poori are served with Dal, a lentil and curry sauce that is served with any Indian breads. The 2 slices of poori with Dal only cost about C$1, which is why I can never bring myself to order roti at the restaurants in Vancouver. Why do they charge me $2.50 for a tiny piece of roti?


Hainaneese Chicken Rice:
To those that know this, need I say more? The essence is in the the rice, made with chicken stock, ginger and other ingredients, this is a staple hawker store offering. There is steamed chicken as well as roasted chicken rice. Either way it is always good.


Claypot chicken rice
This is available at all food courts. The pot is heated on the fire with rice and any assortment of meat and soy sauce. Simple, and straightforward. The best part of this dish is the rice at the bottom of the pot. This soaks up all the sauces and tastes so good.


Ice Kacang
This dessert is straightforward. Shaved ice, mixed beans and jellies, drizzled with condensed milk and rose water. Every Asian country has its own version of shaved ice. I think the rose water is what makes it uniquely Malaysian.

No comments:

Post a Comment